[Samba] winbind: BUILTIN\users group gid 1001 conflict

Christoph Peus cp at peus.net
Sat Mar 24 10:13:05 GMT 2007

Hi everybody,

I've joined a fileserver running samba 3.0.24 to an AD domain using
winbind and noticed that samba maps the "users" group SID (5-1-5-32-545)
  to gid 1001 automatically. This seems to conflict with one of ~2000
mappings I had to "inject" in winbinds winbindd_idmap.tdb by use of net
idmap dump/restore, because the fileserver had millions of files with
certain uid/gid ownership from a local passwd/group before I did the
"net ads join". The gid 1001 was allocated to the group "nawi" in
/etc/group before.
I'm unsure now which problems could be caused by this regarding security.
Is it possible - and usefull - to change this mapping to get a
"BUILTIN\users" group as expected?
Thanks!

Regards
Christoph