[Samba] The specified NEtwork Name Cannot Be Found

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sun Mar 18 17:10:02 GMT 2007

My first suggestion would be to try using SWAT to sort our your
problems. SWAT is a web interface to Samba that has some wizards to let
you set up your server. I would start with a basic configuration and go
from there. You're getting into some unusual settings in your smb.conf
that may be causing problems.

I notice immediately that you have no scripts to add, change or remove
users or groups. And you have no idmap directives. And you are missing
"profile acls = Yes", which seems to be required these days.

You don't have a path in your homes share and both the WWW and ISO share
have "valid user" directives which may be keeping you out.

There is a howto for verifying your Samba setup on the samba.org site.
Try it out. It's very useful for debugging configuration problems.