[Samba] roaming profile not uploaded correctly when logging outfor the first time

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Wed Mar 14 22:48:05 GMT 2007

I *THINK* it has to do with the logoff process. I'm on XP.
I have been experiencing on this today, in fact.
Most of my profile copied to the server, but it would ultimately pop up an
error.
When you watch XP log off, the first thing it displays is "closing network
connections", then "saving settings"...
If the Saving Settings part is saving my profile, and XP has just
disconnected my network connections, how can it then succeed?
I suspect in my case it starts the save before the connections are closed,
but doesn't finish in time. Hence the message.
(This may explain why the log level settings affect it, though...)
Anyway, I hope this helps somehow.
I was actually trying to turn OFF roaming profiles, but my test machine kept
saving them anyway.
Found the GPEDIT.MSC setting to fix it, so I never really explored the
actual cause of the profile error.
Dennis