[Samba] Q: Samba Proxy or SAMBA Cluster?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Fri Mar 9 06:14:24 GMT 2007

Jason Haar wrote:
> Michael Heydon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>> The main samba server holds all files and all user information. The
>>> CIFS Proxy in the remote location have a copy of all files and a copy
>>> of the user database.
>>>

> What about just using Samba as a front-end to a shared NFS backend? I
> know that under Linux at least Samba and NFS can both ack locks due to
> the "kernel oplocks" option.
>
> Shouldn't that do what you want? Someone opens a file on Samba-Site1,
> and the central NFS server locks it for the rest?

I don't think the locks are the main issue, the "CIFS Proxy in the
remote location have a copy of all files" is the interesting bit. NFS
wouldn't provide any form of caching so performance wouldn't be
substantially different to just running smb over the wan and using dfs
to redirect clients.

-- Michael Heydon