[Samba] Roaming profile - Folder redirection - Erase file on server

Patrik Dufresne ikus060 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 01:01:36 GMT 2007

[I post the same message on Ubuntu forum]

Hi,

I need help to fix a problem with Samba as PDC and Folder redirection on a
Roaming Profile. I know it's not the best place to post this, but I don't
know any better place. So if you have suggestion, tell me.

Here my problem :

I'm in a testing environement with a Samba server setup as a PDC with some
share (netlogon, profiles) to support roaming profile. My "smb.conf" file
contain the good configuration parameters for "logon path" and "logon home"
etc ..

For my roaming profile, I setup a Folder redirection using the
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders" registery key. I modify the value of AppData, Cookies,
Desktop, Favorites, My Pictures, Personal. Every folder are redirect to the
network share with %LOGONSERVER% and %USERNAME% variable. There is no
problem with the redirection, when I connect every thing are correctly
redirect.

For example, if I create a file named "textfile.txt" on my desktop, I see it
on the shared folder. (I do a "ls" command with ssh directly on the server
to be sure). I can add, remove, edit file on the desktop and every thing are
OK.

The problem come when I logout The window client do some sort of
synchronization of a local folder with the shared folder. For example,
C:\Documents and Seetings\admin\Desktop\ with
\\MyServer\profiles\admin\Desktop. I fact, it's not a synchronization, it's
just delete the shared folder and replace it by the content of the local
folder. The result is that every modification done on the desktop (that are
redirected) are lost at the logout.

It's a very annoying problem that I can't solve by my self. I search
everywhere without any tips.

I try some config with "ExcludeProfileDirs" registry key without success.
It's possible that I don't use it correctly.

Thank for you help and comment.

[global]
        dos charset = 850
        unix charset = UTF8
        workgroup = ENTREPRISESMD
        server string = Samba server
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
        time server = Yes
        deadtime = 15
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        load printers = No
        add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
        logon script = login.bat OR %U.bat
        logon path = \\%L\PROFILES\%U
        logon drive = h:
        logon home = \\%L\PROFILES\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 40
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=entreprisesmd,dc=homeip,dc=net
        ldap delete dn = Yes
        ldap group suffix = ou=Group
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=People
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=entreprisesmd,dc=homeip,dc=net
        ldap user suffix = ou=People
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        inherit permissions = Yes
        inherit acls = Yes
        inherit owner = Yes
        case sensitive = No
        hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/
        msdfs root = Yes

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /data/usersdata/netlogon
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[PROFILES]
        comment = User profiles
        path = /data/usersdata/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        inherit permissions = No
        inherit acls = No
        inherit owner = No
        profile acls = Yes
        browseable = No
        csc policy = disable

I take a look in the log file c:\windows\debug\usermode\userenv.txt and it's
clear that the windows workstation just remove the file I add on the desktop

USERENV(25c.260) 20:36:52:752 SyncItems: removing <E:\admin\Desktop\New Text
Document.txt>

--
Patrik Dufresne