[Samba] Windows, Mac OS X, Debian Etch, and Samba

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 14:23:49 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I am setting up a Linux Server to handle FTP and File Sharing. I
figured that since Mac OS X (10.4) no longer supports Appletalk, that
I would set up Samba on the Linux Server and access it from the Mac
and the Windows machines.

I started with the Samba3 By Example setup for the Charity
Administration, and came up with this for a smb.conf file:

*****
[global]
	workgroup = Workgroup
	printing = CUPS
	printcap name = CUPS
	map to guest = Bad User
	show add printer wizard = No
	wins support = Yes

[share]
	comment = Print, FTP, & Mail Server
	path = /home
	read only = No
	force user = theuser
	force group = theuser
	guest ok = Yes
	nt acl support = No

[printers]
	comment = Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	guest ok = Yes
	use client driver = Yes
	browseable = No
*****

So, now I try to connect from the Windows machine (running XP), and it
recogizes that this server is running "Samba 3.024(Memory)", as it
shows up under the network stuff. BUT, when I try to log in, it says
that "\\Memory is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
find out if you have access permissions. -- The network path was not
found."

Also, when I try to mount the server from the Mac, using the "Connect
to server" and entering in the url "smb://guest@192.168.x.x" (with x.x
being filled in with the actual IP of the machine), it returns the
message "Could not connect to the server because the name or password
is not correct." I also tried "smb://192.168.x.x", and still got the
same thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike McGonagle