[Samba] samba not responding to linux __break_lease() call.

Robert Rappaport robert.rappaport at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 21:16:00 GMT 2007

I am working on a distributed file system running on linux where I am trying
to add support for samba OpLocks and I am observing behavior that I do not
understand.

My understanding is that samba establishes a lease on a file and expects to
receive a signal when conditions change and samba must relinquish the
lease.  In my file system, when I detect a condition, possibly on another
node of my cluster, that requires samba to relinquish the lease, the file
system calls linux routine, __break_lease(), on the node where the samba
server has established the lease.  I would expect that the call to
__break_lease() would generate a signal that would then result in the samba
server making an fcntl() call to release the lease.  I clearly see the
__break_lease() calls occurring but then I observe a long period (45 seconds
the lease timeout period) where nothing happens.

I am running samba-3.0.24-3.fc6 on a 32 bit i686  (930 Mhz) machine with a
slightly modified linux 2.6.19.5.  Any help or insight would be greatly
appreciated.

- Robert Rappaport