[Samba] create mask vs security mask

Mathijs Kwik bluescreen303 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 20:02:00 GMT 2007

Hello,

I'm using samba 3.0.24 on ubuntu 7.04
I'm using the 2.6.20 cifs-driver on my linux-clients.
samba has posix-cifs extensions turned on.

I want to be able to use the cifs-shares as if they were local.
locally I normaly use umask=022 for all files/directories that are created.
So I figured I have to set the create mask = 644 and directory mask = 755.
Now when I want to make a file executable, or group/others-writable, this
won't work!

It looks as if the create mask (which should be applied when creating) is also
acting as a security mask, which is not what I want. To my understanding
there is no need for security mask anymore if create mask already fulfills
this task.

So I tried setting create/dir mask to 777
that way I am able to set all bits on all files to my liking.
Problem then is that the standard umask-setting is not working on cifs, so all
files get created 777 which is also not the behaviour I want.

Is there any way/setting/patch to get the normal(local) behaviour from a
samba/cifs share??
What I want is being able to set all bits on the files I own, but have a
default setting for newly created files/dirs just like umask accomplishes on
local filesystems.

Thanks for any help.

Mathijs