[Samba] Only 3/4, 1/2 or 1/4 transfer speed of the theorethical

Nagy Viktor viktor.nagy at abmm.hu
Tue Jun 5 09:23:31 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I finally decided to contact you.
This problem bothers me for at least 5 years.
I use Debian Linux-es with 2.6.16 - 2.6.19 kernels.
Our computers on 100 MBit ethernet network. As we connect two windowses
(XPs) they can transfer 9-10 MByte/s. That's the the theoretichal max.
In the past when one side was linux the max speed was 7.5 MByte/s
(This is the 3/4).
When we connected two linuxes they could produce only 5 MByte/s.

The today situation is even worse.
Currently the office server runs samba 3.0.23d debian sarge(ish). My
computer runs debian etch (4.0) with samba 3.0.25. The maximum transfer
speed is around 2.5 MByte/s. This is quite unacceptable. When I use
Windows XP it's significantly higher, around 6-7 MByte/s. I just tried
to tune the socket options like
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   read raw = yes/no
   write raw = yes/no
   max xmit = 1400

They not helped. This happened every hardware that used in the last 5
years. So please somebody try to connect two debian linuxes with samba
and try to transfer a bigger file. I almost sure he or she will
experience the same. In the documentation is written that it can perform
like NFS. This is far from the truth in my case. Please help.

Viktor