[Samba] net ads dns register question

Henrik Zagerholm henke at mac.se
Mon Jun 4 16:15:52 GMT 2007

4 jun 2007 kl. 17:45 skrev Gerald (Jerry) Carter:

> Henrik,
>
>> First time using the new ads function and have
>> some questions.I'm issuing the command 5 times with
>> different parameters and only one succeeds.
>> # net ads dns register -P
>> DNS update failed!
>> # net ads dns register -I 10.170.4.10 -U Administrator
>> Administrator's password:
>> Successfully registered hostname with DNS
>
> The DDNS update facility is design to be used by
> member servers joined to an AD domain.
>
> * If you enable --with-dnsupdate, then the DDNS update
>   request will be done as part of "net ads join"
> * You can refresh the DNS A records using the machine
>   account credentials by invoking "net ads dns register -P"
> * In all cases the list of IP addresses to register is take
>   from the "interfaces" parameter in smb.conf.  Or all
>   broadcast capable interfaces in the absence of this parameter.

Hi Jerry,

I compiled with --with-dnsupdate
Join is successful but DNS update fails either way.

root at safecube:~$ /usr/local/samba/bin/net ads join -U
Administrator at NVS.SE
Administrator at NVS.SE's password:
Using short domain name -- NVS-SE
DNS update failed!
Joined 'SAFECUBE' to realm 'NVS.SE'
root at safecube:~$ /usr/local/samba/bin/net ads dns register -P
DNS update failed!
root at safecube:~$

Thanks for you help,

Cheers