[Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment

Fri Jun 1 20:16:19 GMT 2007

Josh Kelley wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
>> I would recommend against doing this... Microsoft itself recommends
>> against it, but I have also had problems with corruption in .pst files
>> that are stored on a network share, both on Windows shares *and* Samba
>> shares...

> Just to share my own experience, we've been running our PSTs off of
> Samba shares for several years now without seeing any corruption.  We
> used to have some locking errors with this setup, but adding the
> following line to smb.conf stopped them:
>
>   veto oplock files = /*.pst/*.PST/

Yes, I tried that, but after the next corrupted file, moved them back to
local disk that gets synced at logout.

Thankfully, I don't have to deal with Outlook any  more, and all email
is served via IMAP...

--

Best regards,

Charles