[Samba] Vista and Samba

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Tue Jul 24 17:27:04 GMT 2007

I was just setting a Windows Vista machine up on my network and have the
following problems.

If the user logs into the domain, then there are no network drives
showing.  It is as if the script is not executing.

If I logon locally with an administrator and then run '\\server-name' to
get a list of drives, I can see them but nothing shows up in any of them
except for two of the shares which are dfs shares.

I mapped a drive letter to one of the shares that was not dfs and then
things showed up in it and it let me browse it.  I browsed to a  setup
file and when I clicked on it, the machine told me that the file that I
just clicked on did not exist.

It must have something to do with my msdfs shares.  If I change the
'host msdfs = no' then I can get to all the shares except for the 2 that
are dfs shares.  If I leave it as 'host msdfs = yes' then I can get to
the two dfs shares, but not any of the others.

All of my Win98 and WinXP machines work with the current setup, but the
Vista machine will not.

My current samba version is 3.0.10.1 and here is my smb.conf.

Thanks for any info on this.

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    workgroup = BES
    netbios name = server
    host msdfs = yes
    obey pam restrictions = No
    ldap passwd sync = Yes
    time server = Yes
    mangling method = hash2
    Dos charset = 850
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
    ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=server,dc=bes.domain
    ldap suffix = dc=server,dc=bes.domain
    ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
    ldap user suffix = ou=Users
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
    add user script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
    ldap delete dn = Yes
    add machine script = /root/users/user_add -mach "first" "%m" "none"
    add group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
    add user to group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u"
"%g"
    delete user from group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x
"%u" "%g"
    set primary group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
    kernel oplocks = no
    printcap name = cups
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups
    cups options = raw
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    log level = 3
    max log size = 500
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    os level = 65
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    logon path =
    logon home =
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    template shell = /bin/false
    winbind use default domain = no

[teachers]
         path = /export/teachers
         msdfs root = yes

[students]
         path = /export/students
         msdfs root = yes

[userhome]
         comment = Home Directories
         path = /home/%u
         read only = no

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
  [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /opt/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    root preexec = /opt/samba/netlogon/logonscript.pl %U %M %m %I
    root postexec = /opt/samba/netlogon/logoutscript.pl %U %M %m %I
    read only = no
    locking = no

[school]
         path = /school/bes
         read only = no
         valid users = @teacher @admin
         create mask = 666
         force create mode = 2666
         directory mask = 777
         force directory mode = 3777

[bes]
         path = /school/bes
         read only = no
         valid users = @teacher @admin @bes @bms
         create mask = 660
         force create mode = 2660
         directory mask = 770
         force directory mode = 3770

[lemburg]
         path = /lemburg
         read only = no
         valid users = @teacher @admin @lemburg
         create mask = 666
         force create mode = 666
         directory mask = 770
         force directory mode = 2770

[sis]
         path = /sis
         read only = no
         valid users = @teacher @admin @lemburg
         create mask = 666
         force create mode = 666
         directory mask = 770
         force directory mode = 2770
         level 2 oplocks = no
         oplocks = no
[data]
         path = /student/software
         read only = no
         valid users = @bes @bms @student @admin @teacher
         create mask = 666
         force create mode = 666
         directory mask = 777
         force directory mode = 2777

[software]
         path = /software
         read only = no

--
Scott Mayo
System Administrator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.