[Samba] Samba Printer Driver Upload: files can not be copied

Arno Schäfer arno_schaefer at gmx.de
Sun Jul 8 01:07:46 GMT 2007

Hi,

I am having this problem with the uploading of printer drivers to my
Samba server's print$ share:

I am logged in on my Win XP machine as user "root" and connected to the
Samba server as user root. I can access the print$ share and can upload
files there manually without problems.

I can see and select the printer on the Samba Server (in Network
Neighborhood), and I can start the driver upload wizard.

But once I click on "finish" in the Wizard and the driver files start
uploading to the print$ share, I get the error message "file cannot be
copied", and I should check if the files on the source media are
available (they are). If I click on "retry" a couple of times, sometimes
one of the files is finally copied correctly (and appears in the W32X86
directory), and the upload hangs on the next file. I see files like
"set123.tmp" appear and disappear again, doing that.

There are no errors in the log.smbd.

I am using Samba 3.0.25b on OpenSuSE 10.2 (x86_64), Linux 2.6.18.8. The
file system for the print$ share is ext3 on a software RAID1. My client
is XP Home. I tried it from an XP Pro machine with the same results.

Any ideas anyone?

Best Regards,

Arno

This is my smb.conf:

[global]
         workgroup = MSHEIMNETZ
         printing = cups
         printcap name = cups
         printcap cache time = 750
         cups options = raw
         map to guest = Bad User
         include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
         logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
         logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
         logon drive = P:
         usershare allow guests = Yes
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
/var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
         domain logons = No
         domain master = No
         security = user
         netbios name = FILESERVER2
         smb ports = 139

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         create mask = 0600
         writable = No
         guest ok = Yes
[print$]
         comment = Printer Drivers
         path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
         write list = @ntadmin root
         force group = ntadmin
         create mask = 0664
         directory mask = 0775
         guest ok = Yes
         writeable = No

--
Arno Schäfer
IT-Beratung & Softwareentwicklung

PHP - Java - Web-Anwendungen
Linux/Unix - MySQL - Hochverfügbarkeit - Security

Hainer Trift 38 - 63303 Dreieich
mailto: arno_schaefer at gmx.de
Tel. +49-6103-699967 | Mobil +49-171-7939236