[Samba] Change print job priority

Martin Werthmoeller mw at lw-systems.de
Sat Jul 7 11:07:46 GMT 2007

Hi list members,

I've a problem with a printer in a samba network like the following

  client ----> samba dc ----> cups ----> network plotter

Client:     Windows XP Professional
Samba:      3.0.20b on SLES 9, SP3
Cups:       1.1.20
Printer:    HP DesignJet 1050C

The plotter is installed as a windows network printer on the samba server.

Cups is directly connected to samba:

   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   cups options = raw

No I send a print job from the windows client to the plotter and try to
change the priority of the print job. The graphical interface of the
printer driver shows a slider to set the priority of the current job from
1 to 100. But if I clicked 'Apply', the program shows a message, that it
is not possible to change the job.

I enabled the debug logging at the cups daemon. There's no message shown
about this. It seems to be a problem between the client and the samba -
cups connections.

I've recorded the communication between client and samba server with
tcpdump and disassembled the traffic with wireshark (ethereal). I see many
many smb rpc messages interchanged. I could not find any message to change
the priority of the print job.

Could anbody tell me, how I can debug this?

Is it possible to increment the samba logging only for printer
communication?

Whats the name of the smb rpc call to change the job priorty. Is the
syntax documented somewhere?

Best regards,
Martin Werthmoeller

--