[Samba] Dual boot Win98 Centos sharing files

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Tue Jan 16 21:05:42 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 3:31 pm, Jeff Boyce wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I have searched the mailing list archives and my Samba 3 book and have not
> seen this issue addressed anywhere.  My home desktop box has Win98
> installed on a 20 GB drive and Centos 4.4 on a 160 GB drive with a Grub
> menu for selecting which OS to boot.  I am wondering if it is theoretically
> possible to share (read and write) files on the Linux drive when booted to
> Window, and vice versa, is it possible to share files on the Windows drive
> when booted to Linux.  My Linux drive is set up with LVM.  I manage a Linux
> server with 8 Windows boxes at work using Samba, so am familiar with
> configuring Samba, but I am wondering if it is possible to do this type of
> file sharing within a single dual boot box?  Thanks.

Linux can read and write FAT32, just mount the Windows partion in linux and
store shared files there. There also used to be Windows utilities that could
read and write ext2, I imagine there are utilities that will read & write
ext3. So, depending on the filesystem you're using on linux, it's possible
for you to read and write files on the linux partiion. But I wouldn't
recommend it.

HTH,
Tim
--
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux), Linux 2.6.18-1.2257.fc5
 16:05:01 up 3 days,  3:15,  4 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.17, 0.14