[Samba] How to recover: Lost /var/lib/samba/profiles restoring from disk crash

marvin public.marvin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 03:44:15 GMT 2007

I had configured a linux server as a PDC for my home network with a
couple windows boxes.
I had a disk crash, and recovered all of my configuration from backups.
I installed fc6 instead of fc4, with whatever samba came along with it
(3.0.23c).  But somewhere along the line I realized that I had no
backups of /var since I long ago learned that /var was for stuff that
you don't need to backup (sic).

Now /var/lib/samba/profiles should contain my roaming profile, but when
I log on to a windows box it says it can't locate my remote profile (not
surprisingly).  Is there a way to reconstruct the profiles directory
contents by copying my NTuser.dat from the windows box, or something?

 Here are the (I think) relevant parts of my configuration:

[global]
    netbios name = TERMITA
    workgroup = AURORAHIGHLANDS
    wins support = yes
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
    os level = 33
    security = user
        time server = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    logon path = \\server\profiles\%U
    logon drive = H:
    logon home = \\server\share\%U
    logon script = logon.cmd
    server string = Share Server
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 5000 -s
/bin/false -M %u
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24
[netlogon]