[Samba] smbd keeps maxing out the cpu, must reboot server constantly

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:52:31 GMT 2007

I've discovered something interesting. If the AD domain controller that
holds the global catalog is offline, certain things will exhibit the
behavior you are talking about. Most notably, if a PC is set to sync an
offline folder. Microsoft Access also will peg the processor.

Not sure if this helps, but I can reproduce your issue on my network
with the global catalog offline.

I find this interesting because Samba is pointed to a different domain
controller and not the one with the global catalog. I'm sure one of the
developers out there could probably give an "aha!" speech or something.