[Samba] Problem with Windows Client / make_connection(799) / w2k client workaround

Matthias n_news at arcor.de
Thu Jan 4 18:32:03 GMT 2007

Hello NG,

i have following problem with my WinXP Clients and Samba 3.0.x

smbd/service.c:make_connection(799)
couldn't find service sourc

-> correct share name = source

I know this is a windows problem, but I found* following parameter:

   w2k client workaround = yes

but testparm says me:

   Unknown parameter encountered: "w2k client workaround"
   Ignoring unknown parameter "w2k client workaround"

temporary I resolved it, so i export the shares in files and include
them with an additional "trimmed" sharename.

for example:

[Source]
   include = /etc/samba/share_source.conf
   browsable = yes

[Sourc]
   include = /etc/samba/share_source.conf
   browsable = no

It works but it isn't my preffered / final Solution. I use Samba
3.0.14a-3 on Debian 3.1 as productive System and a Testsystem with Samba
3.0.22 / 3.0.23d on Gentoo and Debian 3.1

Need i a special patch, has this parameter a another name or was this
"inofficial?" Option temporary and now obsolete?
I can't find this Parameter in any documentation, faq or changelog of
Samba 3.0.x ...

thanks Matthias

*) URLs:
   http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-October/112929.html