[Samba] only ROOT user?

Jeff samba at n9cqs.com
Mon Jan 1 21:11:53 GMT 2007

Hi all.
I am a total newbie at Samba.

I am running Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper) and have Samba 3.022 installed.  I am
trying to set it up as a Domain controller (to be a domain server that
Windows machines can log into).

So far, I can get it to do this, but only with the ROOT account.  Any
other account and it tells me that the user/password is incorrect or
invalid.

Below is my smb.conf file.

In the /etc/samba/smbusers... If I use that file and have a line such as

root = anyname

"anyname" being a valid logon with a password, it will allow the windows
machine to logon using "anyname" with the correct password, but it logs
the machine in as "root".  The windows machine reads "root" and the
directory and profile on the Linux box is also "root".

How do I expand the list of users?

Also, where does logon.bat need to be stored on the server?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

   [global]
   workgroup = URBANA
   netbios name = SERVER1
   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

   passdb backend = tdbsam
   security = user
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

   name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
   domain logons = yes
   preferred master = yes
   wins support = yes
   time server = yes

   # Set CUPS for printing
   printcap name = CUPS
   printing = CUPS

   # Default logon
   logon drive = H:
   logon script = scripts/logon.bat
   logon path = \\server1\profile\%U

   # Useradd scripts
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
   delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
   add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
   delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
   add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false/ -d
/var/lib/nobody %u
   idmap uid = 15000-20000
   idmap gid = 15000-20000

   # sync smb passwords woth linux passwords
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
   passwd chat debug = yes
   unix password sync = yes

   # set the loglevel