[Samba] Trying to share HP Officejet 5610 Multi-function

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Feb 27 19:32:06 GMT 2007

Forrest,

First you will need a [print$] share (which is where the drivers reside)
as described here:
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#id358044

/var/spool/samba is for the print jobs, not the drivers.
Move "printing = cups" to global.  Add to global "printcap name = cups".
There are other options that you may want to set like "load printers" or
"use client driver"

For installation, perhaps this is what you need:
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#inst-rpc
It is quite involved.  I hope I never have to use it.  All our printers
have Windows inf files for the "add printer wizard", or ppd files for CUPS.

If this doesn't work, consider foomatic/HPLIP packages.
Your printer is supported
here:  http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/inkjet_aio.html
Setting up printing through Samba can be quite daunting/frustrating the
1st time.

Dale