[Samba] "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name foryour computer network" error on XP Pro SP2 clients for Samba 3.0.23dPDC

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Fri Feb 23 11:37:03 GMT 2007

stephen mulcahy wrote:
> I'm unfamiliar with Windows UserEnv logging so this could all be normal but
>
> USERENV(280.5b4) 18:45:52:468 ProcessGPOs: The DC for domain DUCK is not
> available. aborting
>
> looks suspect to me. The domain I'm using is APLPI - not DUCK. DUCK is
> the PDC for the domain. Is this a normal message or does something have
> the nebtios name of the PDC and domain name mixed up. Anyone have any
> thoughts on this?

Hi,

In an effort to diagnose the problem I've installed Microsoft Support
Tools and run a tool called netdiag which prints out a bunch of
diagnostic information including the following

 "
DC discovery test. . . . . . . . . : Failed
    Found DC '\\DUCK' in domain 'APLPI'.
    Found PDC emulator '\\DUCK' in domain 'APLPI'.
        [WARNING] Cannot find Windows 2000 DC in domain 'APLPI'.
[ERROR_NO_SUCH_ DOMAIN]

        This isn't a problem if domain 'APLPI' does not have any Windows
2000 DC s.

 This computer cannot be joined to the [DUCK] domain because of one of
the  following reasons.

1. The DNS SRV record for [DUCK] is not registered in DNS; or

2. A zone from the following list of DNS zones does not include
delegation  to its child zone.

Such zones can include [_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DUCK], and root zone.

Ask your network/DNS administrator to perform the following actions: To
find out why the SRV record for [DUCK] is not registered in the DNS,
run the dcdiag command prompt tool with the command RegisterInDNS on the
domain controller that did not perform the registration.
        [FATAL] Cannot find DC in domain 'DUCK'. [ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN]
"

Does this mean I should include an SRV record on my DNS server for
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DUCK pointing at the PDCs A address? Or is this
just noise generated by the fact that Samba 3 isn't an AD server?

I've seen no mention of setting up SRV records in the HOWTOs so any
advice appreciated.

Thanks,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd, Innovation in Business Center,
   GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.      mailto:smulcahy at aplpi.com
  mobile:+353.87.2930252  office:+353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com