[Samba] Problem with Share Size

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Mon Feb 19 12:48:48 GMT 2007

Volker Lendecke ha scritto:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 12:35:13PM +0100, Marcello Romani wrote:
>> What do you mean ?
>
> As I said in the reply of some minutes ago: I have seen all

I replyed to your post and _then_ read the other responses... sorry :)

> sorts of problems with reiserfs. Some years ago I had
> frequent customer emergencies because highly loaded tdb
> files on reiserfs got corrupted. This meant that Samba was
> not functioning on these machines. Changing the file system
> to ext2/3 solved those problems reliably. But I have not
> heard about those problems for a while. Not sure if reiserfs
> was fixed or people don't use it anymore :-)
>
> But then last week I heard about the lost homedir, and this
> just supported my decision to never use reiser anymore for
> anything.
>
>> I've been using reiser3 at home and work with no problem at all for
>> almost 3 years now...
>
> I can only say what *I* have experienced. I do not give a
> firm recommendation either way. It's just that I will not
> touch reiserfs anymore.
>
> I have certainly also talked to a lot of people who are big
> fans of reiserfs, so it's really your choice.
>
> Volker

I admit the machines where I put reser3 were not under extremely high
load, so it's certainly possible that particular workloads stress
reiser3 in ways that corrupt the filesystem. I simply didn't see this.

So I guess our experiences just differ :-)

Thanks for clarifiyng your initial statement.

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT