[Samba] Reference Documentation Server

- Reyneke reynekejunk at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:42:35 GMT 2007

> > I'm trying to get samba (v3.0.23d) going on an embedded system.

>Try to remove this line if you don't want any kind of security
> > passdb backend = guest

Tried that, no difference. Also tried this:

>security = user
>map to guest = bad password

Same deal. Using smbclient and I get the following:

smbclient -L localhost -U%  = OK
smbclient -L localhost -Ux%  = OK
smbclient -L localhost -Ux%x  =  NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
smbclient -L localhost -U%x  =  OK

(x = nonexistent test credentials)

Any time a password & user is set it fails.

Single user [samba] added to system. Shared folder is word readable and
owned by user samba. Service [smbd -D] kicked off by root.

Could it be client domain related? Unix passwd setup (although I thought
this is suppose to be irrelevant with this setup - I've added the etc/passwd
file)? Any shared libs that might be missing? What about smbpasswd?

root:x:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh
bin:x:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh
sys:x:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh
nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/sh
samba:x:500:500:Samba User,,,:/home/samba:/bin/sh