[Samba] Changing Domain name and NT trust relationships

Patrick Rynhart prynhart at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 21:42:41 GMT 2007

Our department is changing its name which means that our Samba 3 domain
name has to change accordingly.  I have a trust relationship with a
foreign Windows domain using "net join rpc" which (I believe) means that
Windows is the trusted domain and Samba is the trusting domain.

If I change the NetBIOS name, and use 'net setlocalsid' to set the SID
of the new domain name to that of the old - then will the trust
relationship break ?  In other words, is the trust done solely on NT
SIDs or does the NetBIOS name also come into this ?

Regards,

Patrick