[Samba] re: editposix setup

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:22:50 GMT 2007

> > i've setup the samba environment like described in the wiki:
> > http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Ldapsam_Editposix
> > I can now easily add windows user / machines when using the policies for
> > "Administrator".
> > I have also setup unix account session auth via libpam_ldap, libnss_ldap
> > like described here:
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml
> > Some things i dont understand:
> > 1. How is the unix password set for the windows users?

Depends on your settings;  usually Samba will set both passwords or use
exop which should set both passwords.

Note - I haven't bothered to look at the Wikis you mentioned.  If you
want to setup Samba you should do so using the Samba documentation.

> > When i su <winusername> it is not accepting the win password.
> > I also tried editing the unix password via ldap-account-manager but also
> > with no luck.
> > Is a unix password set in general when creating new accounts?

In general, yes, but it depends on your settings.

> > With my unixuseraccounts migrated to ldap via migrationsscipt (the ones
> > used in the gentoo article) it is possible to su <username>.

Have no idea about your migration script but yes; we can su <username>
in our Samba-PDC/LDAP environment.
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

Use the official documentation,  except no substitutes, and don't use
Wikis.  There is really nothing distro-specific about setting up Samba
and/or LDAP.

> > 2. How do I make a sambadomain user out of such a migrated unix user?

You use smbpasswd or generate the required data with a script.

> > 3. When creating accounts the user homes per default points to
> > /home/domainname/user. How can I change that?

This is a setting in your user add scripts (I'd assume).

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com