[Samba] speed and connection problems after samba upgrade - RH 5 -> RH 5.1, samba 3.0.23c -> 3.0.25b

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Wed Dec 19 10:54:32 GMT 2007

Hi,

recently we upgraded a central RHEL 5 fileserver to the latest RH EL 5.1
rpms, including samba. (samba-3.0.23c-2.el5.2 update to
samba-3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4)

Now some users have the problem, that opening a word or excel file saved
on a samba share takes up to 30 seconds. Today I could verify this on
the users desktop XP PC.

This problem occures only from time to time, so it may be also a problem
on the client side or the networkswitch, so I did a test download from
an ftp server (ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de) and I can download files with
up to 6MBytes(!) - that's o.k.

Copying files from the server (e.g. an 600MB iso) takes about 60 seconds
- that's also o.k.

But opening smal files on the server takes sometimes that long ...

My question is: Could it be, that the update includes some changes in
timeouts or locking funtions? Which options may I check? Or are there
some cachefiles to be checked?

The logfile has no obvious hints for me right now...

Thanks for any hints and tips!

Best regards

Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Mathildenstr. 20
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. Christoph Palmer, MdL, Minister a.D.

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt