[Samba] Speed vs Windows systems issue

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Mon Dec 3 20:09:59 GMT 2007

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007, Michael St. Laurent might have said:

> Hello,
>
> I've a CentOS-5 system (kernel-2.6.18-8.1.14el5) SMP arch running
> samba-3.0.27a.  A user reported extremely long load time (11 minutes) of
> a 43MB file across a 3Mb/sec WAN link.  Copying the same file to a
> windows server and opening it from there on the same client system took
> about 2:30.
>
> Research found the below thread from April:
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2007-April/131096.html
>
> I made the same registry changes to the client system and the socket
> options change to the server that were mentioned in the posts and tried
> it again.  This time the load speed from the Samba server was 1:30,
> faster than the Windows system... which is as *should* be!  ;)
>
> When the load times were slow I had no socket options entry at all in
> the smb.conf file (per recent discussions on the list about them being
> counter-productive).
>
> Since we've got about 500 systems here I would really rather not do the
> registry change on all of them if there is a way to change something on
> the Samba server to make this work.
>
> Can someone give the lowdown on what is going on here (or a hint about
> where to find it if it's already been explained)?
>
> Thanks for your time.

Please say just what registry changes you made. I'm following through the
link above and it talks about Win > Samba and Samba > Win lines and to
choose the smaller of the two. My Samba line is *much* smaller than my
Win line.

14:04:33.766520 IP Win.4926 > Samba.microsoft-ds: P 631:719(88) ack 538 win 32931
14:04:33.766635 IP Samba.microsoft-ds > Win.4926: P 538:642(104) ack 719 win 686

Looks like my Samba is 686 and my Win is 32931. That seems really
lopsided. I expected the Samba side to be larger.

What does the 'P' mean?

Mike