[Samba] 3.0.24 What commands must be executed by root verses ntgroup="Domain Admins"?

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Apr 26 16:28:30 GMT 2007

I found the solution, or at least a work around, for my posting: "Can not grant SeMachineAccountPrivilege on Debian Etch"

I ended up:
1) ssh to Debian Etch as root
2) smbpasswd -a root
3) issue the "net rpc rights grant ..." command
SUCCESS!!!

So, that raises the question that what MUST be executed as user root verses a member of ntgroup="Domain Admins"?

I suspect that since Samba does not prompt for a password when I execute the "net groupmap add ..." command, that Samba does not take seriously that I wish to have users of a group be just like the
root user.

Also, if I had configured Debian Etch not to use the root account, but sudo instead (Like the Ubuntu project) then how would that affect this condition? As far as I know, I would think that Samba
would not be tricked into letting the user ID that is not literally "root" execute this command.

I usually do not have user "root" set up in smbpasswd as there has not been need for the account to exist as far as Samba is concerned.

Thanks!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems