[Samba] problem setting ntlm authentication for apache using mod_auth_winbind

combor at gazeta.pl combor at gazeta.pl
Tue Apr 17 17:33:35 GMT 2007

Hello list,

I'm trying to set up ntlm authentication for using mod_auth_winbind.

Unfortunately during the "ntlm dance" some errors occurs. It
complains about Oversized message, Invalid request and ntlm_auth
goes to defunc... ( broken pipe as we can see in apache error log file )
apache   31623 31578  1 19:25 ?        00:00:00 [ntlm_auth] <defunct>

Log file from apache is here:
http://ncpnc.obsysa.net/combor/apache_arror.log

I was trying to trace problem with strace but logfile contains
nothing useful ( except the broken pipe information :) ).

http://ncpnc.obsysa.net/combor/strace.log

My share definition looks like below.

Alias /auth/ntlm/ "/var/www/auth/ntlm/"

<Directory "/var/www/auth/ntlm/">
    AuthType NTLM
    NTLMAuth on
    NegotiateAuth off
    NTLMBasicAuth on
    NTLMAuthHelper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth -d10 --option='auth methods =
winbind' --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp"
    NTLMBasicAuthoritative off
    Require valid-user

</Directory>

Host is correctly joined to AD and users can browse thru samba shares.

The most useful information about errors are in attached log files
so im not going to repeat them here.

Is there any other information I could supply to resolve the problem?

thanks in advance and best regards