[Samba] Samba sessions

Wagg, Dave Dave.Wagg at financialinx.com
Tue Apr 17 15:59:25 GMT 2007

Sorry William,

I meant to send this to the user group listing....

Dave

Hi William,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I saw how they had installed it.  Our Operations support people
installed the AIX Samba binaries to run from this directory.  They tend
to keep all third party applications in one spot.

We are running Samba version 2.2.7..the rpm files did come from IBM.

  ( http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linus/download.html
)

I believe at the time they installed:

 samba-common 2.2.7  (samba-2.2.7-4.aix4.3.ppc.rpm)  and
 samba 2.2.7  (samba-common-2.2.7-4.aix4.3.ppc.rpm)

Are all the Samba processes I see the norm when you run the "ps -ef"
command?

There was something I noticed as well when they setup the Samba startup
in rc.tcpip.  I noticed they started "smbd" and then "nmbd" and the
Samba documentation says to start "nmbd" first and then "smbd".  Is it
critical to start them in the order defined in the documentation?  If it
is, then I put in a request to have this fixed.

Can I install this latest version overtop of what we have installed now?
I do have control of our Test machine, so I can perform the install
myself.  I have "root" access to perform the tasks.

Thanks again,
Dave