[Samba] WINS gives wrong IP.

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Sat Apr 14 14:40:48 GMT 2007

On Saturday 14 April 2007, Nicolás Conde wrote:
> When I do
>
> > ping servidor
>
> on a WinME box, it pings to 192.168.0.1, which is the "oficina2" (WinME)
> box not "servidor" (Slackware). I've looked at the wins.dat file and
> found this: SERVIDOR has 3 entries, each one of them has 192.168.0.1 as
> the first IP address followed by 192.168.0.2; which is wrong because
> I've set up the only ethernet adapter in "servidor" as 192.168.0.2 and
> "oficina2" with 192.168.0.1.

Stop Samba and delete the wins.dat file, then restart Samba. Unless something
else is wrong that should remove the rogue entry.

Also, there's an odd problem that I think only affects some versions of Win95
where the primary WINS server is ignored and only the secondary used, so when
there is only one WINS server it's always a good idea to place its IP address
into both the primary and secondary WINS server fields.

Chris