[Samba] Roaming Desktops with Linux Clients

Daniel O'Connor darius at dons.net.au
Wed Apr 11 11:05:44 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 19:40, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > That combined with pam_winbind and nss_winbind should get you what you
> > want.
>
> Seconded.
>
> We use direct LDAP authentication for the Linux workstations (Windows
> PCs use LDAP via Samba) and pam_mount - works very nicely.

If I was using LDAP directly then I would just mount /home on each of the
Linux machines.

IMO pam_mount is only useful if you don't trust root on the Linux boxes, or
the master repository for files doesn't do NFS, or the home directories
aren't available in a single directory.

(pam_mount seems more evil than using NFS like that IMO :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum