[Samba] Samba kills network.

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Thu Apr 5 22:15:04 GMT 2007

At 03:04 PM 4/5/2007 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 04:15:33PM -0500, Tom Peters wrote:
> >
> > I have this problem all the time. Samba for me will cause the "The
> > specified network name no longer exists" (that's how it's worded for me,
> > not "available") and copy a zero-length file to the destination drive.
> >
> > Reads from a Samba share are never any problem for me.
> >
> > If you immediately retry the operation, and immediately say "Y" to
> > overwrite it, it will succeed.
> >
> > If you do the above for the first in a series of files to be copied to a
> > Samba share, it will copy all the rest of them sucessfully.
> >
> > The other thing that gives this error away is the "getpeername
> > failed...  ...transport endpoint not connected. "
> >
> > I thought I had this fixed, but after months, it has recurred. The fix I
> > tried was this (in smb.conf):
> > smb ports = 139
> >
> > The explanation I got was that Windows try to connect to a server over
> > ports 443 and 139 nearly simultaneously, then use whichever one responds
> > first. Samba replies to both, and it might be that Windows has already
> > decided which it's going to use, and interprets the double reply as a
> > failure.
> >
> > Use sendfile = no has also been suggested to me.
> >
> > Frankly, this is embarrassing, and has kept me from pushing Samba harder.
> > When I ask about it, nobody seems to have a real answer.
>
>Easy enough to fix. Add :
>
>smb ports = 445
>
>to the [global] section of your smb.conf. Pre-Windows 2000 clients
>won't be able to connect though.

I tried that. Used 445, not 443 (oops). Did a load/unload of smbd. No
change. Changed it to 139. Worked better, for a few months. Went back to
old behavior, which is a lot like having no "smb ports =" in my conf file
at all.

-----
844. My veal cutlet tried to beat the s**t out of my cup of coffee... the
coffee just wasn't strong enough to defend himself. (Tom Waits)
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531