[Samba] PAM vs smbpasswd oddity

Russell Handorf rhandorf at handorf.org
Wed Sep 27 20:34:28 GMT 2006

Hi Folks,

so now I've managed to trick the authentication server to caching the
one time passwords for me. I'm down to the last two problems:

1. Something odd that I've noticed is that when I use PAM authentication
Windows clients are outright refused. When I enable "encrypted"
passwords, therefor disabling PAM, I'm then able to log in but with the
use of static passwords. The error that the Windows clients get is the
following:

"\\<IP-ADDRESS> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions.
The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

So the question here is that why doesnt this work when I use PAM
authentication, but it does work when I use smbpasswd?!?

2. I've since tried mounting the share on a linux box to see what was
happening. I notice the following behavior with this command:
mount -t smbfs -o username=rhandorf //localhost/rhandorf /mnt/home/

Once I log in, I'm able to browse the directory without *any* problems.
So if I can solve #1, I'll be a happy camper! Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again,