[Samba] Samba 3.0.23c-1 breaks my home network

Ron feffer777 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 25 23:41:04 GMT 2006

Chris Smith wrote:
> On Monday 25 September 2006 14:36, Ron wrote:
>
>> Samba 3.0.23 on debian breaks my eMac connection.  I have a debian box
>> and an eMac. I posted to my debian distro (Kanotix) and got this info:
>>
>> "Samba upstream has dropped a previously valid config option with their
>> latest version and made every use of it throw an error. "passdb backend"
>> supports only one argument anymore in /etc/samba/smb.conf.
>> passdb backend = tdbsam
>> (perhaps you were using "passdb backend = tdbsam guest" before)"
>>

> What did you post previously that generated that reply?
>
> What is your current "passdb backend" statement?

I'm not sure how I determine my "passdb backend" statement. I don't see
anything like this in my global values. If I just add something like
"passdb backend = tdbsam" don't I have to have set something up to make
that work?
> If it has more than one value, remove all but the first one (I'm assuming that
> the first value is the one in use; usually the case but not guaranteed).
>
> Chris

I just posted that samba 3.0.23c-1 broke my Mac connection that was
working with previous versions of samba, and the result of "testparm" on
my debian box, as follows:

Unknown parameter encountered: "character set"
Ignoring unknown parameter "character set"
Processing section "[rp]"
Processing section "[HDB5]"
Processing section "[Music]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
        dos charset = 850
        unix charset = iso-8859-15
        display charset = iso-8859-15
        workgroup = MSHOME
        server string = host %h Version %v for %I
        map to guest = Bad User
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        max log size = 50
        load printers = No
        printcap name = cups
        username = root,rp
        valid users = root, rp
        admin users = root, rp
        write list = root, rp
        hosts allow = 192.168.173.142, 192.168.123.128
        printing = cups
        print command =
        lpq command = %p
        lprm command =

[rp]
        comment = my_home
        path = /home/rp/
        read only = No
        case sensitive = No
        browseable = No

[HDB5]
        comment = my_home
        path = /home/rp/
        read only = No
        case sensitive = No
        browseable = No

[Music]
        comment = my_home
        path = /home/rp/
        read only = No
        case sensitive = No
        browseable = No

Sorry, Chris, I'm a bit of a newbie with samba. I've always been able to
use the gui and get things to work, but I can't this time. Can you
clarify what I need to do to alter my smb.conf file? I can send the one
on my OSX machine as well if that will help.