[Samba] Problem making directory that already exists from an OS2

Alain.Gorlier at altissemiconductor.com Alain.Gorlier at altissemiconductor.com
Fri Sep 22 09:49:57 GMT 2006

We are encountering problems creating directories from OS2 clients to a
samba server (Version 3.0.23c-SerNet-RedHat).
It occurs when the directory already exists. (no problem for Windows
clients)

>From an OS2 client to an OS2 server we receive this message :
SYS1248: A subdirectory or file \\server\directory already exists.

>From an OS2 client to an Samba server we receive this message :
SYS0317: The system cannot find message 0183 in message file OSO001.MSG.

Looks like there is different return codes between OS2 Lan server and
Samba server for event "directory already exist".

Taking ethereal traces :
    we see that the return code from OS2 Lan server is 0x05.
    we see that the return code from Samba server is 0xb7.  (0183)

The problem is similar to another problem we had with OS2 clients on an
older version of Samba with empty directories.