[Samba] can't access Samba share when clocks skew is too great

Leonid Zeitlin lz at csltd.com.ua
Fri Sep 22 09:37:13 GMT 2006

Hi all,
I have a Samba 3.0.23c server joined to an Windows 2003 AD domain. Users
access it from Windows workstations (XP, 2000). The problem is that if a
workstation has its time off by more than 5 minutes, Samba server cannot be
accessed. I understand that Kerberos cannot authenticate the clients due to
clock skew; however, I thought that in such case Samba could falls back to
NTLM auth. At least, the workstations with the wrong clock can access
Windows file servers, but not Samba. Is Samba's behavior in this case
intentional? Is this supposed to work? How can I help or debug this
situation? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
  Leonid