[Samba] samba as a file server

Timothy A. Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Wed Sep 13 21:25:21 GMT 2006

> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
>
> There are some examples that will show you how to set up what you
require.

> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
>
> There are some examples that will show you how to set up what you
require.

> Barry

[Timothy A. Holmes]

I am getting ready to do a samba installation for our school to replace
a failing fedora core server.  Its been long enough since I did the
fedora core box that I'm essentially starting from scratch.

The network is a Windows Server 2003 network, using Active Directory.  I
want to have all the students and teachers user files on the samba box
(which will be built on gentoo / lvm2)

The transitions to / from the samba box should be seamless and no new
passwords should have to be entered as it should authenticate against
the active directory.  I am beginning the process of looking over the
samba by example docs, and im wondering if there are specific
instructions / examples for this situation.  The Windows Domain
controllers take care of DNS / DHCP, so I don't have to mess with that.
All I want it to do is share my files so people can access them

Any and all guidance happily accepted

TIM