[Samba] What's wrong with my smb.conf? Access Denied with 3.0.23c

Nolan Garrett nolan at massivegeek.com
Mon Sep 11 17:04:37 GMT 2006

Still having problems with my Samba configuration, even after upgrade to
the latest FC5 samba package.  Getting "Access Denied" errors when
trying to connect with a member of the group "Domain Users" to the MP3s
share.  The W2K3 server shows that authentication was successful.  I
can't find any errors in the logs at all, and winbind appears to be
working (I can su to the user, and can do other things, just not access
any share other than the home directory).

Here's my smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = MASSIVEGEEK
        server string = Samba Server
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        printer admin = MASSIVEGEEK+ngarrett MASSIVEGEEK+Administrator root
        cups options = raw

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
 ;      log level = 10
        security = ADS
        realm = MASSIVEGEEK.LOCAL
        dns proxy = no
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind use default domain = yes
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        winbind separator = +
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        template homedir = /home/winnt/%D/%U
        admin users = @"MASSIVEGEEK+Domain Admins"

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        printable = yes

[MP3s]
        path = /home/samba/MP3s
        browseable = yes
        valid users = @"Domain Users"
        writeable = yes

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        read only = no

Domain Admins can access this share without any problems.  I've also
tried specifying valid users as @"MASSIVEGEEK+Domain Users", but then I
get the error:

[2006/09/11 09:56:27, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(773)
  make_connection: connection to MP3s denied due to security descriptor.

I am currently running samba-3.0.23c-2, from the FC5 development tree.

Any help would be appreciated!

Nolan