[Samba] "Couldn't find service home"

Dan Baker djbaker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 02:58:00 GMT 2006

Greetings,
I'm having a problem with configuring Samba.  I am trying to connect
to a linux box running Ubuntu with my os x laptop.  When I try and
connect I get prompted for a username/password.  When I enter them
apple gives me a weird error and it doesn't work.  I'm pretty the
problem is with my config on the linux side.  The error log has this
printed every time I tried to connect:

[2006/09/07 13:09:24, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(851)
   daniel-bakers-c (192.168.1.3) couldn't find service home

Here is all the things I could thing to test and include:

--------------------

dan at Newton:/etc/samba$ smbclient //Newton/home/dan
Password:
Domain=[NEWTON] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.22]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

----------------

Load smb config files from smb.conf
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[Newton]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: passdb expand explicit = yes is deprecated
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

-------------

[global]
         workgroup = LINUX_SERVER
         server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         passdb backend = tdbsam
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew
\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
         syslog = 0
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 1000
         dns proxy = No
         invalid users = root

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /tmp
         create mask = 0700
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No

[print$]
         comment = Printer Drivers
         path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[Newton]
         path = /home/dan
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes

-------------

Domain=[NEWTON] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.22]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Newton server (Samba,
Ubuntu))
         ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Newton server (Samba,
Ubuntu))
Domain=[NEWTON] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.22]

         Server               Comment

         Workgroup            Master
         LINUX_SERVER         NEWTON
         SERENITY             ALANNA