[Samba] Re: Samba not authenticating AD users on shares

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 31 12:21:07 GMT 2006

Aaron Giuoco wrote:
> The problem I am having is that when I try to connect to one of the
> shares on this server, I get a dialog box prompting for authentication.
> None of the credentials I enter works.  It just continues to prompt for
> authentication.  Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this
> problem?

I bumped into that, too. The solution is to create users, (in my case, using
Fedora's system-config-samba gui, selecting "Preferences"->"Users" and giving
them passwords. Blank passwords may also work.) The samba users correspond to
real users (a one to one relationship) but do not need to have the same
username on the windows machine; you can map them with this dialog.

A.F.