[Samba] Question about Case Insensitivity

Kenneth Stailey kstailey at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 22:14:09 GMT 2006

--- Adam Nielsen <adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au> wrote:

> > My setup involves sharing filesystem "/a" and then mounting it on
> > "/b".  I can > use "ls -l" on the "/b" filesystem in a
> > case-insensitive fashion but when I go to open the file by a
> > case-insensitive name the attempt fails.
> >
> > Can someone please explain why I am not able to open() files with case
> > insensitive names even though stat() or lstat() works with them?
>
> My guess would be that Samba's UNIX extensions are enabled, which allow
> you to do nice things like chmod, but also enable case sensitivity.
> You'll probably need to disable the UNIX extensions on the server or
> the mount point before this will work.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Adam, can you be more explicit about what options?

Thanks ever so much for your wonderful assistance however no amount of fiddling
with smb.conf has availed me with a solution.

I did spend some time fiddling with gdb and found unix_convert() seems to be a
very relevent subroutine.

The reason I'm trying to make a Linux filesystem appear case insenstive via a
SAMBA share and a mount.cifs on the same box in a loopback fashion is that I
have been asked to move an FTP site from a Windows NT4 box to a Linux box and
I'm pretty convinced remote entities are using programs to access the FTP site
and so introducing case sensitivity would be a disruption.

I found at least one person is doing this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2005/03/20/399418.aspx

<< We are dealing with the issue right now by mounting a folder in Linux with
samba and using the samba mount on localhost (basicly a loop back windows share
mount) and since samba has fixes for case insensitive it works when we port
things to Linux for asp.net projects. Its not a fun issue. >>

So it is being done.