[Samba] slow profiles

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Wed Oct 25 15:12:46 GMT 2006

On 10/25/2006 7:32 AM, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:
> On 10/10/2006 08:22 AM, Lluís Forns Puigmartí escreveu:
>> Hello, I am new to Samba and I have to administrate a server working
>> ok; but some users have huge profiles (about 10Gb), and each login
>> takes really long.
>>
>> I think the problem exists because each login all the profile is
>> download, and at logout it is upload.
>> Is there a way to use all the profile from the server? I have you can
>> modify all of this by changing:
>>
>> [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
>> Shell Folders]
>> AppData=%USERPROFILE%\Datos de programa
>> Cookies=%USERPROFILE%\Cookies

>> [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
>> Shell Folders]
>> AppData=P:\Profile\Datos de programa
>> Cookies=P:\Profile\Cookies
>>
>> am I right? is there a way to make all this changes without using
>> regedit on each user?.....
>
>     Yes, there are a few options on that matter, please check
> the Official HOWTO, chpater of Desktop Profile Management. :)
>
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ProfileMgmt.html
>

>> thanks a lot and excuse me for my poor English
>
>     Kind regards,

Following is in regards to email and roaming profiles:

If your users are using an email client (other than Outlook) in
conjunction with a POP3 mail server, their mailbox files can be taking
up a HUGE amount of space. These files seem to be changed every time the
email client is opened; therefore, they must be synchronized each logout
and login. If Outlook Express' INBOX.MBX (or any other mailbox) file is
large, it will take a very long time to synchronize.

Outlook Express does not permit you to place the mailbox store anywhere
other than the local machine, however, you CAN place it outside the
user's profile. Of course, this partially defeats the promise of roaming
profiles.

My recommendation for networks where POP3 is used is to either switch to
Outlook (which allows you to store the Outlook Data File - .pst - on a
network share), some other client that allows for network-share-based
mailbox files, or switch to an IMAP or Exchange based system.

-Jon Johnson