[Samba] Windows Vista RC2 can't delete Samba Directories

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 23 22:33:38 GMT 2006

At 05:27 PM 10/23/2006, Greg J. Zartman wrote:
>>First, can you try 3.0.23c? If that does not work either,
>
>I'm running RHEL 4. Given that the RH team backports critical
>patches without changing package numbers, it's difficult to know
>what I'm working with.
>
>I see in the Samba-Technical list that you added somethign to the
>source tree that might be related to this.  Can you send me the
>patch?  I should be able to patch the packages I have here and give
>it another shot.  Otherwise, I may be able to setup another machine
>running Fedora and see how Vista interacts with it running the current Samba.

The old version that RedHat is stringing along in RHEL4 is so far bak
as to be nearly useless for comparison.  I've been running current
code on RHEL 4 for over a year now.

The 3.0.23c tarball has a "makerpms.sh" script (under
packaging/RHEL/, IIRC...) that will build RPMs that RHEL4 is quite
happy with, and can be installed over the top of the stock RHEL4 packages.

The one caveat is that you may want to disable SELinux for SAMBA, as
the new versions move the cache dir from /var/cache/samba/ to
/var/lib/samba/, and don't (re)set the SELinux labels when creating
this new directory.   Mostly, this affects winbindd.  I'd post the
instructions on how to do this, but I'm away from the office on
vacation right now, and don't have those notes handy.   You should be
able to find them in past posts easily enough by searching the samba
list archives for "SELinux".

Cheers,
-D

Don Meyer                                           <dlmeyer at uiuc.edu>
Network Manager, ACES Academic Computing Facility
Technical System Manager, ACES TeleNet System
UIUC College of ACES, Information Technology and Communication Services

temporary safety,
         deserve neither liberty or safety."     -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759