OT: Re: [Samba] Researching possible windows solutions...

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Wed Oct 4 16:45:04 GMT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:12:46PM -0400, Aaron Kincer wrote:
> The EULA for XP Home explicitly states a maximum of five (5) users to
> connect for file/print sharing services. XP Professional is ten (10).
> This is software independent. Installing a Windows version of Samba (if
> one exists now or in the future) would not provide you a legal way
> around this limit even if it does provide a technical one.
>
> Bottom line is that legal validity notwithstanding, you can't use Samba
> as a bypass for these limits.

I find it deliciously ironic that Windows Networking got a huge head start by bypassing Novell Client Access limiations. (ie, a single Windows Server would connect to the Novell Server, and re-share the data to all the clients on the network.  MS was boldly advertising this tactict.)  I wonder if there's traction to do the same thing with Samba :)