[Samba] XP/W2K on Samba 3

Wolfgang Ratzka ratzka at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Tue Oct 3 21:54:38 GMT 2006

To prevent users from changing their profile you could assign to them a
"mandatory profile", that is not stored back to the server and is
deleted from the client upon logout. (I haven't used such a thing, I
only know that it is supposed to exist.)
An easier way of making the user's profile go away upon logout is
to put him/her into the guest's group. (I am not shure which other
consequences this will have.)

To modify the default storage location for documents etc., you use a
policy that does folder redirection. (You can also use folder
redirection without using policies by directly editing the registry of
the [mandatory] profile assigned to the users.)

Some of these topics are covered in Chapter 5 ("Making happy users")
of "Samba-3 by Example" aka "The Samba Guide", see
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
and in Chapter 27 ("Desktop Profile Management") of the
"Samba Howto Collection", see
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

HTH
Wolfgang Ratzka