[Samba] problem authenticating to domain member server

Jill Hollis marknjillhollis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 10:58:03 GMT 2006

Hello,

I've been trying to setup a linux box as a samba fax
server.

Using Suse 9.3, kernel 2.6.11, samba 3.0.13

Smb.conf is setup to use winbind and security=ads.
Joined the domain(W2K). Kinit, wbinfo, getent all work
no problem.

However, there is one strange problem when attempting
to connect to the server from an XP box on the
network.

When I try to access the server through Network
Neighborhood I am only authenticated as a guest and
only guest shares are available. If I try to access
other shares I get a password prompt that never
accepts any password.

But now here is the strange thing, if I connect first
through DOS Prompt using: "net use * \\SMBServer\Share
/USER:DOMAIN\user" THEN I am correctly authenticated
and can get access to all the shares also through
Windows Explorer????????

Please does anyone have any ideas how to fix this
problem? I have been searching lists and googling for
months to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Jill