[Samba] AutoCad and ArcView

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Thu Nov 16 19:48:41 GMT 2006

On 17/11/2006, at 4:42 AM, James McLaughlin wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies yesterday.
>
> Back to the initial question -- does anyone else have more
> references or
> a working .conf file that is designed, tested and working in an
> environment where large files (40-200MB) are being R/W constantly.

I am using Samba (on top of reiserfs/ext3) in a couple of
architecture workplaces similar to yours (5-10 users).
No errors like yours are experienced and the only non-standard
smb.conf settings I use are:

(In the [global] section)
strict locking      = no
socket options  = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
IPTOS_LOWDELAY

In a couple of other places I am using Samba as a media server for
500meg-2gig file sizes and have experienced no problems there either.
In these situations I am using an underlying XFS file system and the
majority of tasks are intensive reads rather than read/write.

It would be very strange for Samba to be destroying your disks but I
can understand file corruption and locking problems because of the
size and nature of the files (AutoCAD seems to try its best to
corrupt files on a good day).

I've found most problems like you describe eventually lead their way
back to a misbehaving RAID card or driver issue.
Either way its not a good position to be in, best of luck and when in
doubt simplify :-)

David