[Samba] cant save to smb from apps?

Steve Glasser steve at fpig.net
Wed Nov 15 00:03:32 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 18:26 -0500, Josh Hester wrote:
> #============================ Share Definitions
> ==============================
> [homes]
>  	comment = Home Directories
>  	browseable = no
>  	writeable = yes
>
> # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
> # specifically define each individual printer
> [printers]
>  	comment = All Printers
>  	path = /var/spool/samba
>  	browseable = no
> # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
>  	guest ok = no
>  	writeable = no
>  	printable = yes
>

> [C:]
>  	comment = Point Files
>  	path = /C:
>  	writeable = yes
>  	browseable = yes
>  	only guest = yes

Josh, did you create a directory on a unix box and name it "C:"?  AFAIK,
windows thinks the root of the 'C' drive is 'C:\', not 'C:'.  Maybe that
confuses windows.  The colon ':' is not a legal char in windows file
names.

> [CALYX POINT]
>  	comment = Point Files
>  	path = /C:/CALYX POINT
>  	writeable = yes
>  	browseable = yes
>  	only ok = yes
>  	public = yes
>
> [Employees]
>  	comment = Employee Files
>  	path = /C:/Employees
>  	writeable = yes
>  	browseable = yes
>  	only guest = yes
>  	public = yes
>
> [PUBLIC]
>  	comment = Shared Files
>  	path = /C:/PUBLIC
>  	public = yes
>    	writable = yes
>    	create mask = 0777
>    	directory mask = 0777
>    	force user = nobody
>    	force group = nogroup
>

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, John Drescher wrote:
>
> > On 11/14/06, Josh Hester <jbhester at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> I set up a samba share on a fedora core 5 box.
> >>
> >> I am able to drag and drop files to it, but when I try to save from an
> >> app, I get a message saying disk is full.  These are all XP home clients.
> >> When I tried to share from an XP pro client it worked.

Is there a reason you have XP home clients on a network?  Are you
running a domain?

Although in theory you can map shares to drive letters with XP home,
when we tried it (with a win2k server) we never were able to get the
mappings to stick after logout/login.

Cheers, Steve G