[Samba] Samba Team Asks Novell to Reconsider

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 18:17:05 GMT 2006

Everyone,

As an IT Manager, I support this statement fully. I was a phone call away
from ordering a copy of Suse to power an email server. Also, I was in the
very early stages for planning a  desktop migration to Linux utilizing
Novell. This action has removed them from the mix entirely. I cannot in good
conscience for the well being of my employer recommend Novell Linux knowing
that their actions has, at the very least, blurred the lines between free
and proprietary software.

The whole point to choosing them as a vendor would have been the support of
a large company for unencumbered software. That they seem to want to back
pedal away from this advantage boggles my mind and removes the comfort
factor.

To Novell (In the event that someone from Novell is reading this):

I want to make it perfectly clear that this is a very bad business decision.
Whomever thought it was a good one is egregiously wrong. You depend on the
FOSS community--not the other way around. Your recent actions are the exact
antithesis of the values for which the community as a whole stands.

I hope you understand that the software you use is under the dominion of the
developrs and that they do retain the right to revoke your distribution
under section 4 of the GPL in the event that you violate the license. For
reference, see Nmap and The SCO Group. I believe you are very familiar with
them. I am not making threats, but merely pointing out that the software you
distribute is not yours to make arrangements contrary to the license by
which it is provided.

I hope you regain some sense about you.

Sincerely,

Aaron Kincer